Friday, August 03, 2007

Why this World is so beautiful ?


Why this World is So Beautiful ?



by Kamal Kumar Tanti



1. Father and Daughter


“Why this world is so beautiful ?” I asked my daughter. She opened her little pink lips & told me, “daddy, why are you asking me this? I am happy that you are with me. I don't feel the need of this question.” I told her, with a smile,”My dear, my world is beautiful, because you are with me. You have changed my world”.


After some time, when I came back to my world touched with reality, I saw that my dear little is sleeping in my lap with her beautiful black lashes closed and dreams engulfing

. We were in the balcony sharing the feeling of being together and me getting the full pleasure of being a father of a little angel . A slow wind trying to touch us, a father & a little daughter. The hope of a daughter touches a father's unstable mind, as we were alone in this world.


My daughter is eight years old. Her mother Nishi used to call her Maani. When Maani was two years old, Nishi, my wife divorced me. I lost all my faith towards all women, except Maani. She is my only hope & I am living life in this world only for her.


Maani, in the mean time, woke up and stared at me & asking,”Father, why are you seems so lonely? Why did you not take your dinner tonight? I am quite unhappy”. She, in some quite minutes, got down from my lap & pulled my wet hands, towards the dining hall.

The dining hall was calm & with no light. I put on the light. A blue colored light started flowing through the air.


Maani started staring at me again. I wanted to hide. But she started talking anxiously,” Why are you crying, papa ? Why ? Why ?”


I don't know why (I told the enquiring eyes).


2. Story-teller


Actually, this was a story of a lonely father & a lonely daughter. I was their neighbor during my lost years in Tezpur, a small semi-rural, semi-urban town in Assam, quite a long time back.


Last time, I met Maani, in Mumbai, during my regular train ride, from Vashi to CST. This was last friday & I was feeling very lonely, when I met her. Maani is now a young lady, with a beautiful built & nicely dressed. She told me that her father had died one year back, in a plane crash, while he was coming to Mumbai. She went into grief and felt terribly upset while letting me know the mishap. She gave me her number & told me to call her.


Today, I was thinking to call her on her mobile. But the mobile was switch off. I thought that she might be very busy .


Now I am looking at her beautiful smile in a photo, that is published as a front-page news in a newspaper of a suicide case, that Maani Baruah attempted & died of it. A chain of pictures are coming to my mind. Yes, both father & daughter, whom I knew for 5 years & don't know for 15 years, are dead now.


I'll remember them whole my life. I don't know whether other people would remember them or not.


(c) Copyright protected.
***********************************************************************************

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The photo pasted in your short story really makes one to feel the days of sweet and innocent childhood.

arup said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
arup said...

The story is really heart touching. In this world there are hundreds of Maani, but no one has time to listen and understand them...everybody is busy in this emotionless, fast, rat racing world to survive in this world. Everybody wants satisfaction either through materialistic measures or other ways....Nobody cares about love, emotion, benevolence, sympathy, compassion. Thats a nice depiction and a meaningful blog......But please take care of the grammatical mistakes....

Cheers,
Arup

wanderlust said...

hey the sory is really very nice. enjoyed reading it. hoping more such short articles will follow! cheers!!

Unknown said...

besh bhal hoise..... xubhessa janalu natun kaamor babe!!

Unknown said...

Very nice blog...I appriciate you for the blog. Plz keep postin like this in future too. It is touchy...

JK said...

Very Interesting blogging. Intellectual leadership of our generation in our state...emerging out. Catch it live in this profile! Loads of expectation from you brother!